Central Bedfordshire Council

Central Bedfordshire Council is the authority responsible for waste services, recycling, planning and building control, council tax, transport, pot holes, road safety, schools, housing, registration services, licensing, trading standards, food hygiene and community safety. Please visit their website Central Bedfordshire Council for all services that are provided. 

CBC Cost of Living Support Leaflet can be found here

CBC Waste Services

Ampthill Town Council no longer hold a supply of green food waste bags, garden waste bags or orange recycling sacks. Please request your recycling bags directly from Central Bedfordshire Council by either calling 0300 300 8302 or by going to their website here   

For any other Central Bedfordshire Council (CBC) enquires they can be contacted on 0300 300 8000.


Report HGVs using roads they shouldn't. Some roads are no longer open to HGVs over 7.5 tonnes and are re-routed to more appropriate roads. The weight limit applies to HGVs travelling through the area but of course lorries making deliveries in the area are exempt. To raise awareness of the weight limits Central Bedfordshire Council have been working with local companies, sat nav providers and installed clear signage. They are also working with the police to stop HGV drivers and, where applicable, gave verbal warnings or prosecuted them for contravening the weight restrictions.

They cannot however, watch the roads all the time, so need your help. If you spot a HGV in one of the weight limit zones you can report it and CBC will contact the company and take further action if appropriate.  If you can, please report as much of the following information to hgv@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk:

• name of company

• registration number

• date and time

• location and direction

You can check to see the weight limit zones by visiting: www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/transport/strategy/weight-limits.aspx

Salt Bins

All CBC highway salt bins have at least two fills during the winter season, one at the beginning and usually one in January or February depending on the severity of the winter weather.